📅23 June 2013
Share this article:


By Regina Shiroma


Jovan Ignacio runs the ball up the field, dragging along a few defenders with him. (photo by Asha Robles)

Rugby players and fans alike flocked to the Wettingale rugby field Saturday for the playoffs of the Bud Light Women’s 7s Series and Budweiser Men’s 15s.

In a highly contested match between the second seeded Guam Rugby Club and the third seeded Chiefs, GRC came out the victors taking home a 36-29 win to play in the championship game match against the first seeded Para Todu Rugby Club Lions.

Epeli “Ratu” Uluiviti put GRC up 3-0 scoring a drop goal from the 50 yard mark early on. However in a brother to brother connection, Chiefs’ Vinson Calvo knocked the ball out of GRC’s possession with a hard hit and Eddie Calvo picked the ball and downed the ball in the corner of the try zone.


A GRC player takes a hard hit by a Chief defender. (photo by Asha Robles)

With the Chiefs up 5-3, GRC’s Mike Mateo answered back with a try in the corner of their try zone and Jeremy Manglona’s successful conversion put them up 10-5 at the half.

Opening the second half, Ratu evaded the Chief defense and placed the ball in the center below the goal posts, leading to a easy conversion and a 17-5 lead.

Later in the second half, Adrien Atalig craftily snuck out of a crowd of players to score an easy try for the Chiefs.

GRC winger Rob Salas displayed his speed as he bolted down the field, entering the try zone untouched. Manglona made the kick, and GRC was up 27-12.

The Chiefs would go on to score three more tries however, time expired and the final whistle was blown.

Bud Light Women’s 7s Series


Lady Lions’ Daria Cook holds on tightly to the ball while Chiefs’ Brianna Benito wraps her. (photo by Asha Robles)

The first place Para Todu Lady Lions advanced to the finals after defeating the Chiefs 26-0.

The Taguacta sisters lifted their team to victory as each sister contributed a try or two.

Older sister Cera Taguacta opened and closed out the game with a try. After thirteen minutes of play time, Daria Cook passed the ball out to Cera Taguacta who sped through a hole in the fatigued defense and scored the final try of the game.

In the first try of the game, sister Kayla Tagucata passed off to Cera Taguacta, and similar to her second try, Cera slipped through a hole in the defense, cut in and booked it to the end of the field.

A couple of stiff-arms and some fancy footwork by Kimberly Taguacta had the winger in the try zone in no time making the score 12-0 after Kayla Taguacta’s conversion.

Next up, Kayla Taguacta weaved through the crowd of the defense and ran down the middle for an easy try and conversion.

Under the heat of the sun both teams began to show fatigue in the second half, but the Chiefs continued to pressure the defense, attacking and breaking through the line. The Lady Lions’ offense utilized quick passing to get the ball out to the wing, spreading the field and opening up their options in the middle.



Teams prepare for a scrum. (photo by Asha Robles)


Epeli “Ratu” Uluiviti kicks the ball to start the game. (photo by Asha Robles)


Teams battle for possession in a line out. (photo by Asha Robles)


Robbie Leon Guerrero kicks the ball. (photo by Asha Robles)


Chief player slips by a GRC defender and runs down the line. (photo by Asha Robles)


Lion’s Cera Taguacta speeds by Chiefs defenders and scores the last try of the game helping her team to move up to the Championship game.


Kimberly Taguacta takes it down the line as she passes a Chiefs defender. (photo by Asha Robles)


Lion’s Cera Taguacta takes down a QF player as she tries to run down the line.


Ladies from the Lions and Chiefs get ready to battle it out in the scrum. (photo by Asha Robles)


Brianna Benito makes her way past two Lion defenders. (photo by Asha Robles)


Chiefs’ Brianna Benito gets taken down by two Lion defenders. (photo by Asha Robles)

[fbshare url=”″ type=”button”][fblike url=”″ style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”]


Share this article: