PRESS RELEASE – Guam International Raceway, Yigo – The final round of the 2014 Proline Drift series took place during Offset Kings Guam, the biggest Autoshow of the year this past Saturday evening under the lights at the Guam International Raceway.
The Proline Drift series is proudly presented by Monster Energy Drink, Napa Auto Parts, Outback Steakhouse, and Hafa Adai Signs.
11 drivers participated for this rounds competition and only 10 moved on to fill spots in tandem battle. To qualify they were judged on their best runs out of 3. (Spin out = opts). Judging was done by Tom Akigami, Lee Webber, and past Guam Drift Champion Jon Doming who is visiting from Okinawa.
1.) Ron Avelino = 280
2.) Dan Aclaro = 270
3.) Shane Bruce = 260
4.) Von Burrell = 250
5.) Arvin Aviles = 210
6.) Matt Palarca = 150
7.) Jaimee Mendiola = 145
8.) Eugene Fernandez = 140
9.) Don Cabuhat = 135
10.) Warren Malig = 65
11.) Luke Duenas = 0
(photo courtesy of Jon Domingo)
First set of eliminations to get to top 8:
10) Warren Malig vs. 7) Jaimee Mendiola = Mendiola leads first run with Malig in chase, Mendiola hesitates a bit out front and Malig maintained giving Malig a 6/4 points. Switching places Malig led second run with Mendiola in chase. Malig straightened out a few times and Mendiola had the better run so Mendiola took that second run with a 6/4. Since points were even they went at it again “one more time”
Mendiola led the first run with Malig in chase again and Malig spins out giving Mendiola a 10/0.
Switching places Malig led, did slightly better up front and took the points with a 6/4 but it wasnt enough to get him into the next round.
9) Don Cabuhat vs. 8) Eugene Fernandez = Cabuhat, the current season points leader didnt qualify too well and fell in the back of the pack. It was Fernandez who led the first run with Cabuhat in chase. Cabuhat maintained his drift when Fernandez spun out in front giving the 10/0 points to Cabuhat. Switching places with Cabuhat in lead, Fernandez spun out again giving away the round to Cabuhat who advances to challenge #1 qualifier Ron Avelino next.
1.) Ron Avelino vs. Don Cabuhat = Avelino led first run with Cabuhat in chase. Both cars initiated early on entry, Avelino had cleaner lines and was awarded a 6/4 decision for first run.
Exchanging places with Cabuhat leading, Avelino pressured from behind and Cabuhat ended up spinning out giving Avelino the 10/0 points and moved on the the Semi finals.
4.) Von Burrell vs. 5.) Arvin Aviles = Burrell led the first run with Aviles in chase car. Aviles straightened out a few times giving Burrell the point lead with 7/3. With Aviles in lead on the next run and Burrell chasing, Aviles did better but wasn’t enough. Aviles scored a 6/4 but that was not enough to get him into the next round. Burrell advanced.
2.) Dan Aclaro vs. Jaimee Mendiola = Aclaro led the first run dominating the run against Mendiola with a 7/3 but when they changed places Novice driver Mendiola turned it up and scored a 5/5 with Aclaro on the second run. Aclaro ended up advancing to the next round.
3.) Shane Bruce vs. 6.) Matt Palarca = Bruce, a newcomer in the series with some experience drifting in Japan when he was stationed in Yokosuka led the first run against Palarca. Palarca spun out giving Bruce the 10/0 lead. Switching places, Palarca lead with a gap and Bruce closed in with a late start. Bruce had the better run and scored a 7/3 against Palarca moving him into the Semis against Aclaro.
(photo courtesy of Vincent Cruz)
Ron Avelino vs. Von Burrell = Look Super teammates Avelino and Burrell faced each other in this Semi final round to see who would go to the finals. Avelino led the first run with Burrell trailing behind. Avelino makes a mistake, taking down multiple course markers causing him to stop and Burrell passing him earning a 10/0.
Changing it up, Burrell led with Avelino behind. Both battled equally well and were given a 5/5 decision by the Judges. Burrell moved on to the Finals as Avelino remained to battle for 3rd place.
Dan Aclaro vs. Shane Bruce = Aclaro led the first run against Bruce. Both ran good, Bruce was putting out some smoke with his tires but wasnt hitting the clipping points like Aclaro so Aclaro took the first run with a 6/4. Bruce leading the second run, he still missed the clipping points the judges were looking for with Aclaro maintaining the designated line he took the second run with a 6/4. Aclaro moved into the finals against Burrell and Bruce against Avelino for 3rd.
Battle for 3rd place:
Ron Avelino vs. Shane Bruce = Avelino led the firs run against Bruce in chase. Both cars performed well and were awarded a 5/5 score. Changing places Bruce led the next run with Avelino following. Avelino spins out on the first turn giving the win and 3rd place for the event to Shane Bruce
Dan Aclaro vs. Von Burrell = Aclaro and Burrell lined up revving their engines off the start. Aclaro led the first run. Aclaro straightened out several times and Burrell was leading in points as the chase car, but spun out exiting the last turn on the course giving away that round to Aclaro. Exchanging places Burrell led the next run with Aclaro following. Both cars equally made several mistakes that pretty much scored them a 5/5 on that last run. With Burrell’s spin on the first run, that gave the win and pole position to Dan Aclaro.
2014 Proline Drift Series Round 5 Winners:
1.) Dan Aclaro
2.) Von Burrell
3.) Shane Bruce
2014 Season Champions:
1st Von Burrell
2nd Don Cabuhat
3rd Ron Avelino
1st Matt Palarca
2nd Diana Guevarra
3rd Carl Bungabong
2014 Season Points:
1. Von Burrell = 18 + 16 + 24 + 26 + 28 = 112
2. Don Cabuhat = 24 + 18 + 26 + 22 + 16 = 106
3. Ronald Avelino = 22 + 30 + 30 + 0 + 24 = 106
4. Arvin Aviles = 0 + 26 + 28 + 24 + 22 = 100
6. Matt Palarca = 8 + 10 + 18 + 20 + 20 = 76
7. Diana Guevarra = 16 + 6 + 22 + 28 + 0 = 72
8. Dan Aclaro = 2 + 0 + 0 + 30 + 30 = 62
9. Carl Bungabong = 2 + 28 + 20 + 0 + 0 = 50
10. Jaimee Mendiola = 2 + 8 + 16 + 0 + 18 = 44
11. Luke Duenas = 20 + 14 + 0 + 0 + 10 = 44
12. Rex Deseo = 10 + 24 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 34
13. Bryan Mejares = 12 + 22 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 34
14. Laban Duplichan = 0 + 12 + 14 + 0 + 0 = 26
15. Shane Bruce = 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 26 = 26
16. Eugene Fernandez = 6 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 14 = 20
17. Warren Malig = 4 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 12 = 16
18. Yoshi Goliat = 14 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 14
19. Jomarie Supangan = 2 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 2